Ms. Huang Zhao, 32 years old, was an employee in Grain Bureau of the Qiaokou District in Wuhan City, Hubei Province. She lived in the Shangzha Community by Hanzhong Street in Qiaokou District. At 3:00 a.m. on April 16, 2004, Ms. Huang Zhao died as a result of torture.
Falun Dafa Practitioner Ms. Huang Zhao was Tortured to Death by Wuhan City Police Department #1 and Qiaokou District "610 Office"
Policeman Jin Zhiping from the Wuhan City Police Department #1 and several other policemen had broken into the home of Ms. Huang Zhao and her husband Liu Ning around 10:00 p.m. on April 1, 2004. Their family learned this in the morning of April 5, 2004. At around 2:00 p.m. of April 5, Ms. Huang's mother carried her 78-year-old husband, a disabled veteran, to see officer Jin Zhiping and inquired about Ms. Huang's whereabouts. After first denying she had been taken into custody, he answered, "She was sent to the City Police Department for interrogation. You should go home. We'll inform you at the proper time."
From April 5 to April 15, the police department did not tell the family anything. Ms. Huang's parents were waiting with anxiety. Suddenly at approximately 4:30 am on the morning of April 16, police knocked on the front door of her parents home. Three policemen came and told her parents that Ms. Huang had "hurt herself" at about 4:00 p.m. on April 2 and was sent to the No.1 City Hospital for emergency care and died around 3:00 a.m. on the 16th of April. Among the three policemen, were sergeant Yang Gang of Qiaokou Police Department and Li Wei, an official from the Qiaokou District "610 Office". Sergeant Yang Gang asked Ms. Huang's parents to view Ms. Huang's body in the hospital. The two elderly parents were overwhelmed by the sad news and asked Huang Gang, "Why were we not informed during the two weeks Huang Zhao was in the hospital?" The officials argued, "We were worried that you could not handle it." The elderly couple asked, "Then, how do you think we can handle you coming to tell us an hour after her death? Why didn't you tell us so we could see her for a moment before she was going to die?" The officials could answer them and just asked the parents to come and view Ms. Huang's body in the hospital. However, the elderly couple refused because they knew that if they went to view at the body, the police would use their visit to fabricate a claim that Ms. Huang's parents had admitted that Ms. Huang had hurt herself, thus covering up their crime.
Later that day, a total of five people from the Qiaokou Police Department came to see Ms. Huang's parents. They surrounded the elderly couple and harassed them until almost midnight in attempts to get them to view Ms. Huang's body in the hospital. All they would keep repeating to the elderly parents was about Ms. Huang Zhao "hurting herself" and the need for "emergency care". The family requested the police department to provide details about how Ms. Huang had supposedly "hurt herself" on the April 2nd. Yang Gang said, "Huang Zhao smashed a glass. She then picked up the broken glass with her right hand, cutting herself approximately seven times across the artery on the left side of her neck. The policemen who were guarding her immediately used napkins and towels to wrap her to stop the bleeding. Then, they send her to the No. 1 City Hospital for "emergency care"."
Ms. Huang's family then asked Yang Gang a series of questions and requested him to answer with a "Yes" or "No" reply to prevent him from lying.
Question: After Huang Zhao's artery was severed, was she still able to talk in the hospital?
Yang Gang: No.
Question: Could she eat anything?
Yang Gang: No.
Question: Was she conscious?
Yang Gang: No.
Question: Was Huang Zhao convicted of being guilty at the time?
Yang Gang: No.
Question: Was Huang Zhao a free person then?
Yang Gang: Yes. He also said, "In order to save Huang Zhao, an expert brain surgeon and chest surgeon from Tongji Hospital were asked to come. The medical expenses were over 70,000 Yuan (1). If the family is questioning or doubting, you could hire an attorney as well as a medical examiner to examine the body."
The family debated the above two issues with the police for three days. The family insisted that it was impossible for Ms. Huang Zhao to commit so-called "self-injury" because she treasured her life very much. Even when she was handcuffed and hung up in the prison, around the clock, for 9 consecutive days she did not give up her belief in Falun Dafa and had never "injured herself" despite the brutal torture she was subjected to. She was not even in prison. The family insisted that the Qiaokou Police Department provide material evidence if Ms. Huang had "injured herself" and was in "emergency care". Yang Gang and the other police claimed they had evidence but they were not able to produce anything to show the family. They could not even provide any evidence such as a Notice of Terminal Illness or Death Certificate, not to mention things like the broken glass, record of the "emergency care" and hospital care, receipt of medical bills, etc.
Actually, Huang Zhao's family had already realized that Huang Zhao did not die from a so-called "self-injury"; instead she was tortured to death in the Qiaokou District Police Department on the afternoon of April 2, less than 24 hours from her arrest. The police fabricated an excuse that her death was the result of "self-injury" and that she died after "emergency rescue" in order to delay telling Huang Zhao's parents until April 16 so they would have enough time to cover up their role in Huang Zhao's murder. For three days, the police kept sending more officers to harass Huang's family but did not accomplish their goal. On noon of April 18, not having been successful with deceiving Huang's parents into signing off on their fabricated story about Huang's death. The police decided to go ahead and publicly announce that Ms. Huang Zhao had "committed suicide due to her dread of punishment for her crime".
Here, we list several inconsistencies that require further investigation by both the public and The World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (WOIPFG) regarding the death of Ms. Huang Zhao at the hands of the police of the Qiaokou District Police Department:
1. Qiaokou District Police Department personnel claimed that on the afternoon of April 2, 2004, Ms. Huang injured herself. Huang's family requested Qiaokou District Police Department to provide evidence about her "self-injury". Yang Gong, the unit head of Qiaokou District Police Department first said that they had the evidence. However, no evidence of their assertion has been produced.
2. Qiaokou District Police Department personnel claimed that after her "self-injury" on the afternoon of April 2, 2004, Huang Zhao was sent to the No. 1 City Hospital for "emergency care". But when the family asked for the hospital record, patient's record, record of the emergency care, medical bill and receipt, Notice of Terminal Illness and Certificate of Death, etc, Yang Gang claimed that they had the records but they could not present any of them.
3. The Qiaokou District Police Department personnel claimed that Huang Zhao had committed "self-injury" and was sent to the hospital in the afternoon of April 2, 2004. When Ms. Huang's parents went to Qiaokou District Police Department Section #1 to ask Jin Zhiping where Ms. Huang was, Jin Zhiping lied. He told the elderly couple, "Huang Zhao was sent to the city police department for interrogation. You go home. We'll inform you at the proper time." Why didn't Jin Zhiping tell the truth? Why didn't he tell Ms. Huang's parents that Huang Zhao had committed "self-injury" and had been sent to the No. 1 City Hospital for "emergency care" at that time?
4. Yang Gang was aware that Ms. Huang Zhao could not speak, eat, or move and she was on her deathbed when she was sent to the hospital for "emergency care". But why didn't he tell her parents about her situation in the hospital when they came to her parent's home after she died at 3:00 a.m. on April 16? Why did they only urge her parents to identify the body? Who had the power of attorney to represent Ms. Huang's family in signing the Notice of Terminal Illness and the Death Certificate?
5. On April 18, the Qiaokou District Police Department authorities tried to force Ms. Huang's parents to admit that Ms. Huang had committed "self-injury." When they failed to accomplish this goal, they angrily tried to threaten her family by claiming that Huang Zhao "committed suicide due to her dread of punishment for her crime." Huang Zhao died only 16 hours after being illegally arrested by the Qiaokou District Police . Who convicted Ms. Huang Zhao and what was the crime? What right does the Qiaokou District Police Department have in claiming Huang Zhao "committed suicide due to her dread of punishment for her crime"?
6. After Ms. Huang Zhao's remains were cremated on the morning of April 21st, her family received an urn containing her ashes. They found a receipt that stated "stabbing" as the cause of her death. As they were saying their last goodbyes to to Ms. Huang's corpse, the family could see that Ms. Huang's face and head were swollen. There were wounds on her right neck. But Yang Gang had claimed that she had "picked up the broken glass with her right hand, cutting herself seven times on the artery on the left side of her neck". Therefore, the police statements were inconsistent with what the parents observed on their daughters body before cremation.
We urge all international organizations to investigate this case.
(1) Yuan is the unit of currency in China, where the average monthly salary of an urban worker is 500 Yuan.